Welcome to the Solar Influences Data Analysis Center (SIDC), which is the solar physics research department of the Royal Observatory of Belgium. The SIDC includes the World Data Center for the sunspot index and the ISES Regional Warning Center Brussels for space weather forecasting.

INFO FROM SIDC - RWC BELGIUM 2017 Oct 21 12:36UTC

From the East limb, returning NOAA region 2682 produced a long duration
M1.1 flare peaking at 23:28 UT on October 20. An associated dimming was
detected by Solar Demon, and an associated Type II radio burst was observed
by Palehua at 23:35 UT with a corresponding speed of 344 km/s. SOHO LASCO
C2 and C3 and STEREO COR2 A have observed an associated bright CME, first
seen in LASCO C2 at 00:00 UT on October 21, from the northeast to the
southeast. Analysis of COR2 A jplots revealed a plane of sky speed of about
385 km/s, yielding a full speed of 770 km/s. Due to the position of the
source, this CME will not be geoeffective. C flares are likely in the next
24 hours (70% probability), with a chance for an M flare (30% probability).
No Earth-directed Coronal Mass Ejections (CMEs) were observed in available
coronagraphic imagery. The greater than 10 MeV proton flux was at nominal
levels.
A small, fast forward shock in the solar wind occurred at 5:16 UT on
October 21. Solar wind speed registered by DSCOVR jumped from about 340 to
365 km/s, while the magnitude of the Interplanetary Magnetic Field (IMF)
jumped from about 4 to 6 nT. Current solar wind speed is about 360 km/s and
current IMF magnitude is about 8.5 nT. The IMF was directed away from the
Sun until it started pointing towards the Sun around 7:40 UT on October 21.
Quiet to unsettled conditions (K Dourbes between 1 and 3; NOAA Kp between 1
and 2) were registered in the past 24 hours. There is a chance for active
geomagnetic levels (K Dourbes = 4) on October 21. Quiet to unsettled
geomagnetic levels (K Dourbes < 4) are expected on October 22 and 23.

Latest SWAP image

SWAP latest image

Latest USET H-alpha image
USET latest Halpha image

Latest LYRA curve

Latest LYRA Curves

Latest Callisto Observations

Latest HUMAIN Callisto qkl

Daily estimated sunspot number
EISN

Most recent alerts

2017 Oct 21 0614 UTC
A small, fast forward shock in the solar wind occurred at 5:16 UT on October [more]

2017 Oct 11 0614 UTC
END OF ALL QUIET ALERT ...................... The SIDC [more]

2017 Sep 17 1959 UTC
A halo or partial-halo CME was detected with the following characteristics: [more]

2017 Sep 10 1650 UTC
A class X8.9 solar X-ray flare occurred on 2017/09/10 with peak time 16:06UT [more]


Science Highlights

Oct 19, 2017: Something's brewing...

Oct 16, 2017: The best of... 2016!

Oct 11, 2017: The Sun is spotless again!

Oct 04, 2017: A new LYRA product

Oct 04, 2017: Facing the Sun

click here for all science highlights

Press

Sep 28, 2017: Recurrent Coronal Hole

Aug 11, 2017: Eclipse fever

Jun 02, 2017: Extreme Ultraviolet Imager (EUI) ready for launch!

Click here for all the press releases



Good to know

PROBA2: Eighth Call for Guest Investigators

A Design 4 a Ticket

Breaking news